Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Picking Up Stitches?

So the one thing that I didn't think I would have a problem with is now my enemy. I bound off for the hood last night, and this morning on my commute to work I read the instructions...pick up 158 stitches along the left panel starting from the top hood. No problem. Easy. Done.

I picked up stitches oh so carefully. Easy. Count them up and what do you get, 80 stitches? HUH? Waz-dat?



Okay, I'm thinking...it's not so bad. I just have to pick up about double more. So, I see there are these bumps between the already picked up stitches. That must be where I pick up the extras from right?



I start picking up these bumps and gosh it is not easy and is definitely a problem. I don't even know if I'm picking up the right stitches and all my knowledge is flying right out the window.



I struggled to get most of these stitches on and can't imagine trying to purl these suckers once their all there. Am I on the right track? Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Are you picking up actual stitches of the edge? I usually (and who am *I* to tell you what to do, but . . .) pull up the working yarn between the first two rows of stitches when I'm adding a horizontal ribbing to a vertical pieces.
\H/
\H/

If this weird typing were your knitting, the slash and first side of the H would be one stitch, and the other side of the H with the back-slash would be the next stitch. The cross-bar of the H would be the yarn connecting the two stitches, which is hidden in the back of your work if it's stockinette. I'd pick up a stitch at the spot between the cross-bars. Sometimes, depending on your gauge, this is done 3 stitches for every 5 rows, or so. The spot I'm picking up the stitches through is the same spot you'd pull your thread through if you were doing a mattress stitch seam.

Clear as mud?

Good luck ;-)

Anonymous said...

Umm, are you sure you are picking up stitches from the right part of the hood? Could it be that you are supposed to maybe pick up along two sides? I'll bring my old (shrunked) hoodie sweater tonight and show you what I mean.