Thursday, May 17, 2007

My Story

How I become known as Red.

The nickname Red goes all the way back to the High School days - Graduating Class of ‘92 thank you very much! Everyone pretty much had a nickname and most of my gal pals used each other’s last names until your true nickname would present it’s self. It was the summer of 1990 and me and some chicks decided to suntan one hot July afternoon. My best friend at the time had that perfect skin that is the instant tan. With in minutes she would be screaming to get into the shade as to not over brown herself. I know a bit dramatic, but when your 15 going on 16...it’s all dramatic. Well, needless to say we were out in the sunlight for perhaps 10 minutes and I noticed my skin was super warm. I went into the shade along with my pal to discover that I had turned into a lobster. My pasty white ass (not ass literally) did not have any sunblock on. Yep, red as a stop sign. And to top it all off, I was wearing a very stylish (at least for the ‘90’s) off the shoulder stretchy button in the crotch kinda shirts. I know you remember those!!! So you can imagine the red shoulders and white bans going across my biceps...hahaha...go ahead and laugh.

Our main form of entertainment that summer and for summers to come was the walk up tothe local 7-11. We lived in a apartment/condo/townhouse community, and anyone who was anyone would be out walking around with the main destination being the local strip mall. You were bound to run into someone and hopefully it was a cute boy...or two...or three;) Every single person (and cute boys) for the next week was saying “Your RED”...well it stuck. What adds to the charm of this nickname...not only am I red in the summer, but during the winter I get the red nose as well. Oh, yeah lets not forget the red hair...I like the nickname, it suites me.

The Knifty part was a fluke and a very random thought off the top of my head. I liked the idea of having the word 'Knit' be apart of the name, yet Knit Red sounded bad. An adjective was what I was looking for...something to describe me, not point out what I was doing. Nifty Red...Play up the K...Knit turns into Knifty...I have more of a design eye, so when I see these letters I think of knitting.

It might be completely WRONG and I’m sure there are some people out there biting their lips at how I just butchered the English language...oh well. I like how it sets me apart from the crowd of growing knit blogs out there.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I hope you enjoyed my tale...till next time. Knit-On!

No comments: