Monday, June 18, 2007

Knitting with 2 Circular Needles

With some interest in knitting with two circular needles. I wanted to give some tips and tricks on how I handle it. These are my Thermal sleeves knitting on 2 circ's and I'm already finished the increase rows and just moments away from the armhole bind-offs.



Cast on your desired amount of stitches. For this example we’ll use 20. Divide said number of stitches in half by slipping 10 stitches on to the second circular needle.



Knitting two pieces at the same time? Slid the the first cast-on to the end of the needles, so the cast-on tail and active yarn are facing to your left. Grab the circular needle that also has the previous cast-on tail. Using this will ensure that the pieces are both mirroring each other. With second ball of yarn cast-on 20 stitches for second piece.



With second needle slip 10 stitches dividing the cast-on in half.



Turn work and making sure not to twist stitches. The Cast-on bumps should all be facing downward. Start knitting your pieces as instructed by your pattern. For example: Knit2, Purl2 rib.

Taking careful actions to knit with one needle for one side only. If you happen to knit with both needles, the project will become tangled. Also, be careful to switch balls of yarn between different pieces.

Once one side row is complete, turn work and using second needle work second side row. Below are some graphics used to explain the needle path with for two pieces.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I have been doing ONE sock on two circs, but was wondering about TWO on two circs. I looked around on the net but did not find graphics as clear as yours. Bravo, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You have provided a service to the world!

Kris said...

I'm glad I was able to help.

Julie said...

Kris -
Thanks so much for such clear instructions! Looks like a great idea - I will give getting started a try this weekend when I have a chance to concentrate. I might come back and bother you with questions! :)
Thanks and happy Friday!
Julie

Lori said...

This is a terrific tutorial, an LOVE the clear graphics! I have added a link to your blog on my FB page, https://www.facebook.com/MountainGirlFiberArts.
Thank you so much for sharing this!

VAZ said...

Fantabulous! Can't wait to try. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a clear explanation. I love doing socks and have been knitting them using the magic loop method, but when I get to the turning of the heel, I get mixed up and end up changing to dp's. I'm thinking this may well work for the entire sock. Also, could one use one size on one needle and another on the 2nd? I have always used size 1 for my socks, but when it seemed they were a little too snug, I knitted a pair using size 2, but that was just too much. I'm thinking perhaps this other option might make them fit just right.
Thank you again.

KarlaG said...

Anonymous: have you tried size 1-1/2 needles? They exist!