Sunday, February 25, 2007

What Fun We Had!

I don’t know if I could fully explain the Great Saturday adventure. I wish I had taken pictures, because what a day it was. On the morning of Saturday February 24, five fiber crazed woman crammed into a car and drove 2hours out towards Rockford to a town called Marengo, IL. There isn’t much around, but what they do have is so worth seeing. We reached The Fold by 11am where Toni is the owner and embarked into a store so warm and welcoming. The fiber fumes took over our minds and bodies and we all got lost among the bins, tables, shelves and cubbies...merino, silk, cashmere, and who could forget the buffalo?

After two hours of fiber fix, we where in search of food to fill the bellies. Toni recommended a shop in town called Flatlanders. It’s only a few minutes away from the yarn shop and we found a parking spot right out front. All the store fronts have that old world feel and you could almost imagine horses and buggies riding down the main street. We entered and where greeted by a gray-haired man who called us the naughty knitters. I looked at him and was like...”How’d you know?” ...”Oh, you guys just look the type” I looked at the gals and we all just about died right there. That Toni called ahead to warn the man that 5 crazed fiber fumed woman where headed his way! Hilarious!!!! and talk about a find. The yummy sandwiches totally hit the spot and will be a great reason to go back;)

So, I’m sure your curious to see what I got...right?

Toni talked me thru some spinning tools that I was happy to discover. I got these...



These objects will help me work on the yarn I’m creating without stressing out my hands and arms. Haven’t quite figured out how to work the Lazy Kate yet, but how hard could it be, right?

I then got some roving...




I told Toni, to get me a “hats” worth... I have no clue what I’m doing...I then ask her, would I need a full pound? And without skipping a beat and with her smart wit, she replies with “Do you want to wear a hat that weights a pound?” I just about lost a lung that afternoon, between the squeals of delights and bountiful laughs from everyone’s discoveries.

I fell in love with this Ambrosia yarn that is alpaca, silk and cashmere ...



And casted-on Sunday for a lace socks inspired by the pattern in Socks, Socks, Socks book. Of course I had to change up the pattern a little, but that wouldn’t be me if I didn’t.

I also picked this up..



Which is Classic Elite Bazic Wool that I’ve started to swatch for the Central Park Hoodie. Who knows, I might just join the KAL (knit-a-long) but I’m just not sure about these twists the yarn has...would it work for showing off the great cables?

I have so many projects going on right now...I’m also still working hard on the Alpaca Pullover...Here is a current look...



Oh, what joy....till next time;)

4 comments:

Mindy said...

I popped over from KR.

I love Toni. I got to her store everytime I am up there. It sounds like you had a great trip.

Mindy said...

I popped over from KR.

I love Toni. I got to her store everytime I am up there. It sounds like you had a great trip.

Unknown said...

Oh oh. Looks like you'll be dying, too. We're passing bugs around the group too quickly.

Anonymous said...

I'm still high on fiber fumes. I must be, because I'm contemplating putting the Starmore on hold for that insanely beautiful blue merino. I keep opening my closet to peek at that amazing color....