Monday, February 19, 2007

Lets Take a Spin

I’m just going to have to apologies for not posting over the weekend, but it was filled with Marti-Gras celebrations and a deep house cleaning on Sunday. The hurricanes were awesome but I’m not exactly fond of cleaning. I get into these modes where the dust bunny that’s been eyeing me from the corner of the living room needs to die. It’s amazing what you find in these deep cleaning explorations, and most of it went into the trash. Gosh, if I hadn’t missed that thing-o-bob in how long?? Then I wont miss it ever!! But...we’ll move on and talk about cooler things like my new found love...Spinning.

I was first introduced by a friend named Vic from our SnB (who has sadly moved to NY) ..she turned me on with her drop spindle. I then attended a demonstration at the Stitches Salon in Downtown Chicago, where some ladies from the Windy City Knitting Guild taught and enabled the fiber fans into obsessed fiber lovers. And now since attending the Salon, I’ve spun practically every piece of roving in the stash. I did find among the stash some roving I had no clue I had and I’ve already started to spin that too...okay time for pictures.



This is the sample roving that was handed out to the attendees. It was very rough and hard to spin, but the gals say that it's good "starter" roving. Gets you used to separating the sections and drafting the bits on to your spindle. But do you see the big spotty sections vs the thin sections...they tried to comfort me by saying "it's designer yarn, most people would pay top dollar"...sure, yeah....okay...do you hear my sarcasm?



Here is some more yarn I've made and started a swatch to see some gauge. I'm appx. that each ball is 50g (used the kitchen scale) so that doesn't leave me with many options when it comes to finished knits...maybe a skinny scarf? a simple hat? any suggestions?

And here is the roving that I located at the bottom of the stash pile...it was purchased at Kool Knits during there going-out-of business sale. It's very similar to the green/orange roving from above, so I'm assuming it's also a merino type wool.



Can't wait for Saturday...as it will involve a yarn & roving car pool with the SnB gals. Hey! Have you guys made your list yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have I made my list? My running list of patterns-to-knit fills three legal pads. Not sheets. Pads.

And those are just patterns from the magazine patterns that spark my knitterly interest.

Except for the four magazines that I bought yesterday. (sigh) Those have yet to be added to the list.