Saturday, July 19, 2008

FO: Windmill Beret



Pattern: Windmill Beret

Yarn: One skein of Noro Silk Garden and One skein of Cascade 220

Needles: US 4 DPN

Start Date: July 12, 2008

End Date: July 17, 2008

Comments: Okay... first off this pattern rates a 10 on the difficulty scale for knitters. Why? It's only a hat and as one of my close friends would say "I'm smarter then a hat!" ... yes. that is true, but what we failed to realize is that the designer of this lovely yet difficult pattern was sucking us into her own world where they speak a different language.

Combine this with, oh 10 knitters all knitting along together for support and you've got a party. Maybe not your average party, since many cuss words were used and even the occasional Bark. If you've knit the hat then you feel my pain.

I miss read the pattern the first round...well, that's not right... Many times this hat was miss read, but once you get past row 11 your pretty golden. The mistake was increasing EVERY Bark instead of the 6 increases I was doubling the hat every increase row. Yeah, not good. It was a good laugh one SnB night when I took it off the needles.



I did a slight modification with the increases again once I understood the concept and ended up with something more like the tree of life. I like it. I liked the torture so much I bought more yarn to make another.

I can see how this pattern can become addicting and makes of a quick gift if your short on time.

My end result was a bit small and so I blocked it. The beret grew to a perfect size on top, but my loose bind-off grew as well. I'm not sure how I'll fix that. Perhaps redo the bind-off again or tack some elastic to the inside brim.