Monday, April 26, 2010

Knit & Crochet Blog Week: Day 1

Starting Out

How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It all started perhaps 8 years ago (gosh time flies) when our family had plans to dress up and see Harry Potter in the theater. I really wanted something special for my son and searched online for a great Gryffindor scarf but was disappointed in the selection and price.

So, why not make one myself? It can't be that hard. I then taught myself how to knit from the book Knitting Pretty. It was full of projects that were rated by a difficulty range of 1-5. I went and purchased some Red Heart and had at it. That was way before I had any clue that Yarn Stores existed.



Here is a very young Eric sporting my handknit. As you can see he was very much into Harry Potter.



All these years later and it's still around... a little tattered, but very much loved.


knitcroblo1

3 comments:

Vivianne said...

I don't think there's any better motivation than wanting to make a loved one happy :-)

Laurelena said...

I love that scarf! And Eric looks so adorable. I like reading about people's first experiences with knitting :)

Caffeine Girl said...

What a wonderful way to start knitting. And a very lucky boy. I started knitting in earnest when my kids were teens and they do not want many handknits!