Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I Now Want To Add Fleece To EVERYTHING

With the seriously low temps hitting the Chicagoland area, I'm thinking of fleecing every article of fabric in my home.

I found the perfect tutorial for lining hats with polar fleece. Check out TECHknitting's blog post that totally helps in the construction.

Unfortunately, in the tutorial it wants you to wear the fleece on your head to give a more perfect fit. With gift knitting, that's kinda hard. So, I used the my matchy-matchy to Mac's hat as a test.



I measured my head and then pinned the fleece. I then tried the fleece on my head to see if it would fit and it does. I then placed the knitting hat on top of the flat fleece and pinned around the outside of the hat to get the slop of my skull. Give your self plenty of wiggle room. You don't want to match it perfectly because it will need room to stretch. You can see I also included the earflaps on my tracing.



Then pick up some matching thread. I used a general all purpose thread and was happy to see it matched so well.



You then sew along the pinned area with the good side facing towards each other. I really don't have a clue what kind of sewing technique that is... mattress, whip... something that is strong. What I love about fleece is there are no worries about fraying.



You then take your knitting hat and turn it inside out and do the same with the polar fleece. You place the fleece on top of the hat and begin pin the two items together.



Once pinned in place you go along with your needle and thread to secure the fleece edges with the knitting edge of the hat. And really that's all there is to it. I've made three of these so far and I'm kinda hooked.

No comments: