Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes We Can

Yesterday morning I could see Grant Park from the conference window in my office building. We're some 20 stories up and it's quite a view. My heart was full of hope, excitement, and perhaps an over looming feeling of want. Want for change.

During lunch I took a quick walk outside to discover city workers collecting all of the garbage cans along the streets. Has anything changed? The city is preparing its self for the worst and hoping for the best.

I had a want for my city, my Chicago to show it's true colors to the whole world. I love this city, but we're really only known for Gangsters and Michael Jordan. There is so much more to this great city then that. I wanted the whole world to see what I see.

Extra trains were added to all Metra lines and I jumped on the 3:10 heading home to cast my ballot. The train was jam packed and I was lucky enough to have grabbed a seat. With my ballot counted I headed home for a quick nap as I knew I'd be up until it was announced who had won.

As I watched the news and viewed the Grant Park crowd getting larger, all I wanted was for a safe evening, no matter what the outcome. I'm just so proud that our Chicago hosted one the most historical events of it's time. There were no fires, pushed over cars or riots in the streets. Celebration yes, but peacefully and with hope. Hope that things will change.

I never thought that in my lifetime I would see something like this, but it's happened. As his speech was heard across the world, I got chills. His powerful words brought tears to my eyes and as I kissed my babies goodnight, I thought Yes We Can.

No comments: