This project has been on my mind for awhile now. Mostly having the wind blown out of my sales because of how horrible the Ogee was taking my knitting mojo out. I haven't really wanted to jump into that project with full force until that catastrophe was completely behind me. I mean seriously? can you blame me?
My issue with the Pea Coat is I think I'd rather have this piece knit up on size US 10.5 instead of US 11's. For the full test I've knit up different sections of the coat to see how they'll be effected. Yeah, the swatch was cool, but after having been bitten in the ass by Ogee, I'm not so confident on the 4 inch swatch theory.
The coat needs 2 cuffs and 2 belt sections to complete the project and since these are small and quick I figured I'd get the most out of testing with these.
Before washing, the pieces measure as follows: cuff is 3.75 inches wide by 14.5 inch long, belt is 3.5 inches wide by 20 inch long. The difference between the two is that the belts were knit on size 10.5 and the cuffs are size 11. I like the look of the belts verse the cuffs on these unblocked pieces.
The effects of blocking are not significant in the changes of scale. They didn't grow or stretch, but yet bloomed and became softer.
After seeing the effects on blocking (and consulting with some of the ladies at Nana's on Saturday), I've decided that I'll go with the 10.5 US needle. I'll be happier in the end, even if this means adjusting my pattern again.
I'm even considering lining the jacket. Would that just be to-die-for??